From:
John Sproule <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Jun 2005 13:56:07 -0400
If you don't think that a LCD baseed on Samsung's PVA panel (which is what
the 1905fp uses, last I knew - though there are rumors of this being
changed) will have a fast enough response time for watching movies (and
PVA/MVA panels are notoriously slow in this department); you might want to
consider the latest iteration of the Viewsonic VP191B, which uses
"overdrive" technology to force a faster response time out of a MVA panel.
(Note, this edition of the VP191B is distinguished from the older model by
its prominent advertising of a 8ms gray to gray response time.)

This is probably a better choice than going with a low response time TN
panel, which is limited by not being able to offe true 24-bit color and
having relatively narrow viewing angles (popular examples of 19" TN LCDs
include the Hyundai L90D+ and the Samsung 930B, which both use a Samsung TN
panel).  I think that one of these TN panel LCDs would be most appealing to
someone who plays a lot of FPS type computer games.

Dell often has various kinds of sales and specials on their stuff; so, you
might want to keep your eye open for a good price on one of their 20 inch
LCDs (either usual format or wide aspect), which use IPS panels.  These
kinds of panels seem to offer fairly well rounded characteristics, and I
believe the IPS panels found in these 20 inch Dells are 16 ms (black to
white) response time panels.  This should be fast enough for most people to
watch movies and do some gaming.  IPS panels tend not to have the same level
of contrast compared to the MVA/PVA panels, which might be noticable if
watching movies in a somewhat darkened room, but I'm probably getting a bit
picky, now.

John Sproule