From:
Eric Greenberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Feb 1999 16:40:09 -0500
At 09:45 AM 2/26/99 -0700, you wrote:
>Eric,
>   In your situation, did you have any parameters specifically set so
>that the Swap file would not be copied?...Or is this automatic.

No, nothing special.  On my machine I have tried to "play" with the swap file
settings in the past and no matter how I had it set up, it made little
difference in performance.  With that said, I have it currently set to "Let
Windows manage my swap file".  Perhaps if it was set to a specific value (i.e.,
60MB) it WOULD have copied, but I can't answer that.

My thought is that since this swap file is constantly updated by Windows, it is
probably impossible to copy because it is in use all the time.  OTOH, just the
fact that I was in Windows 98 at a DOS prompt when running xcopy32 means that I
also had plenty of other files loaded at the same time.  They all copied
perfectly (without respect to location on the new drive, of course).

>I have seen some comments relating to setting the " Let ME manage the
>swap file " before on this discussion.

Don't go there 8-)

>Might add this is a very interesting subject!!!.

I agree.  I know I for one have learned something I didn't know before that
save me about a bag of time.  But I guess that's why we're here!!

Take care.

>Thanks.......John
>

>> Just to add to the discussion on this:  I unfortunately had to use the xcopy
>> richkey today to copy a large failing hard drive to a smaller drive.  It
>worked
>> great but one other thing xcopy doesn't copy is the Windows Swap file.
>>
>> In my case I was trying to compare the data on the two drives and didn't
>> realize at first that the swap file was missing from the "slave" drive.
>>
>> As many of you know, it doesn't *need* to be copied as it regenerates itself
>> when Windoze 9x boots anyway.  Just something to keep in mind.
>>
>> Eric
>>

>                Curious about the people moderating your
>                   messages? Visit our staff web site:
>                     http://nospin.com/pc/staff.html

Eric