From:
Bill Cohane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Jul 2000 00:32:22 -0400
At 12:15 07/26/00, Peter Shkabara wrote:
>Although I use both types, I recommend an external if you don't mind the
>extra space it occupies. Here are the advantages of external:
>
>1. no question of compatibility with software - winmodems are internal and
>will not work with all operating systems and software
>
>2. easy to move to another computer if needed
>
>3. does not create additional heat inside the computer
>
>4. if lightning strikes a phone line, it is less likely to damage the
>computer if you are using an external modem - this happened to a friend of
>mine and he will never use an internal modem again!

Here's one more reason to use an external modem.

I've had occasions where an internal modem froze and I had to reboot
to get it back. (Even had to power down once to get the modem back.)

You can usually reset an external modem by pushing a button on the
modem, or at worst, by turning it off and then back on.

Regards,
Bill

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                    http://nospin.com/pc/pcbuild.html