From:
Thomas Mayer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Jan 2009 20:18:58 -0800
I'm not sure I fully understand your description of the problem. I don't
think you can go about replacing an existing HD with a new HD by loading
programs on the new HD while using the existing HD as the primary drive
without a lot of pre-planning and tedious work. A lot of programs
primarily load into a folder under "Program Files" which can be directed
to load on the new drive, but select files are normally loaded in a sub
folder in the "Windows" folder which is normally located on the primary
drive. So when you finally switch the drives, program(s) will likely not
be able to find some necessary files. Also, the OS itself may not even
function.

With newer HD's there is normally provided a process for switching
drives without having to reload everything (it is automatic). Of course,
if you have already moved files off your existing HD, this process would
likely not produce satisfactory results. In essence I would have
switched drives first before doing anything with individual programs.
You yourself only know what you have done so far so it really is not
possible to give you more definitive information. To receive more
definitive assistance, you should give more history as to what you have
done so far.

To get the sound and video devices working again for now, I would try
reinstalling the software that came with them.

I do not know how you can get Windows to load by switching the boot
order in the BIOS, since the new HD does not have the OS installed on it
(or maybe it does?).

I hope this helps.

Tom