From:
"Frank R. Brown" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 May 2000 07:27:23 -0400
I don't know anything firsthand about sprint.ca, but I think
there may be some confusion here.

Outlook express is an email client.  You get your email from
some sort of email server.  Your email server is probably a
server being run for you and a bunch of other customers by
whoever hosts sprint.ca (sprint, perhaps?).

Pop3 (older) and imap4 (newer) are two common internet
standards for serving up and receiving email.  I would expect
that you would be able to use any email client that supports
pop3, and probably any client that supports imap4.

I currently use pegasus with pop3.  (The latest version also
is supposed to support imap4, but I haven't tried it.)
Pegasus is a nice little email client that you can get for
free.  (See http://www.pmail.com/ )

I've also used eudora in the past, which at that time was
a functional pop3 client.

I would be very surprised if a large isp provided email service
that could only talk to outlook.  If I'm guessing correctly how
you're set up, I would be you could point just about any email
client to your email account, and it would work.

I prefer not to use microsoft clients for email because
        1a)     they tend to be bloated
        1b)     the bloat tends to contain bugs
        2)      they're always trying to trick me into sending some
                sort of microsoft-centric stuff out over the internet
                (e.g., the infamous winmail.dat), which I think is
                rather rude...

I haven't avoided microsoft email clients specifically because
of their greater susceptibility to viruses, but that is legitimate
side-benefit.

(Although, in fairness, the microsoft client aren't dramatically
less secure than others --- it's more a case of fewer virus-writers
shooting against them.  So using something other that outlook
as a safety measure is really more 'security by obscurity',
legitimate, but a little lame...)

Good luck.

angeleyes <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Hi There
> Thanks for you advice...Since the virus scares I have been considering just
> that getting rid of OE all together..The only reason I haven't is because
> everyone and their mother have the [log in to unmask] address and don't
> want to change it...Is it possible to change to a new server and have this
> email???? I have hotmail but don't want that as my primary...Any suggestions
> would be apprecited....If I can't use this address is there a good email
> server that you could recommend?
> Thanking you in advance

     Frank R.Brown
     Frank.R.Brown@MailAndNews