From:
Kenneth Whyman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Jul 2008 14:13:42 -0700
That extra partition on your hard drive is the WinXP restore CD for your
system. You boot to that instead of your normal partition, and the wizard
that loads will let you roll back your machine to a certain restore point,
wipe the drive clean of Windows and reset back to factory conditions while
preserving your data, or wipe and restore without saving a thing, typically.
This is becoming a common tactic among pre-built manufacturers like
HP/Compaq, Dell, and others, since it saves on having to press and package
CD's or DVD's containing the same information. Some can even dynamically
update that restore partition to reflect newer and better driver software.
That in a nutshell is how to restore your PC to factory specs. You can, of
course, wipe and restore the OS partition with whatever you can get to run
on it (Linux), but your manufactorer will likely not help you with anything
once you do so, and you don't want to accidentally remove that restore
partition if you intend to go back to factory specs at a latter date.
Replacing that partition with CD's from the maker is a bit of a pain. Hope
this helps. :)