Date:
Sat, 31 Dec 2005 10:14:29 -0600
Larry, I replaced the power supply inside the computer, not the cords. Lesa
  >I have a used HP Pavilion XL866 that came with Windows ME installed. =
  Due to some problems that were mostly of my own creation, I installed a =
  new version of Windows XP Home, and XP now runs great. However, now when =
  I try to power down the machine, only Windows closes and the screen goes =
  black, yet the fan and processor keep running. In order to turn off or =
  reboot the computer, I have to manually hold down the power button for =
  several seconds until all goes silent. I have reinstalled software, =
  changed BIOS settings and tried seemingly everything recommended by =
  "online experts" -- all to no avail. Anybody have any answers? Thanks.

  Larry, here is a copy of the post I sent when I was having a similar =
  problem:=20

  I run  WinXP.  About a month ago, I noticed that my speakers started =
  popping after I shut my comp down. A week or so later, I noticed that I =
  still heard noise from my comp after it seemed to shut down correctly. I =
  opened it up, and the fans are still running, and the power light is =
  flickering. The only way to get the fans off is to cut the electricity =
  or use the switch at the back of the comp. =20

  I don't know if this is what your problem is, it sounds like it could =
  be. I replaced the power supply and I have never had anymore problems. =
  Lesa

  Date:    Fri, 30 Dec 2005 18:55:37 -0600
  From:    Larry Adler <[log in to unmask]>
  Subject: Re: Computer wont shut off

  Lesa,

  Thanks for your input. Are you talking about replacing the power supply
  inside the computer? All I see is the AC cord and the monitor cable.

                 our special coffee mugs and mouse pads