From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Mar 1999 12:19:48 -0800
On 24 Mar 99, at 23:41, Colin Swabey wrote:

> I'm sorry but that is not the case. The network drivers 'translates'
> from one device format to another, therefore it is not important
> whether or not one machine is using FAT32. Consider the many office
> networks around that have DOS, Windows, NT an Macs all connected and
> they can all see each other.

  This is correct, folks.

  I use FAT32 on my Win98 machine, and it also has the Zip drive
because many of my Zip disks are compressed using DriveSpace.  My NT
workstation, which includes neither support for FAT32 nor for
DriveSpace, can access these devices across the network without any
problem.

  I do believe I recall seeing a claim that some of the large volume
options provided under NT (RAID, volume sets -- can only be done using
NTFS) might not be entirely visible from Win 9x machines if their size
was over 8GB or so; I have not had any occasion to verify this.
  In general, the conversion between high-level directories and
filenames, and low-level clusters and sectors, is private to the
machine that controls the drive, and the same file will look the same
at the network level no matter what drive format it is stored on.

David G

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                    http://nospin.com/pc/pcbuild.html