From:
Rob Cilia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 May 2003 11:15:26 -0500
Hi Vern, since you're working with a 486dx you're probably dealing with
older ISA architecture based motherboard and will need an ISA modem card and
you'll probably only see these in 28.8 to 33.6 bps speeds.  I can't say that
these are too common anymore but I'm sure if you do some searching on EBAY
or somewhere else on the net you should be able to find one for very few$$$.
I wouldn't invest in an external modem as the reply below suggests just
because the cost would be totally unreasonable considering the pc you're
using.  I have to assume that if you're trying to keep an older machine
running it's because you don't want to spend any money on it and this in
itself is admirable considering all of the old pc's piling up in landfills.
Check out the following website: http://www.computersurplusoutlet.com as
they sell today's and yesterday's computer products and you'll probably find
what you're looking for there for very few$$$ including ship&handling.
HTH - rob,wpg