From:
Edna Sloan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Oct 2000 00:55:15 -0500
Recently acquired this AGP video card, ATI Rage Fury 128 GL with 16mb
memory.  Installed it in a Soyo 6KL AT MoBo(LX chipset) with latest flash,
with 64MB ram, and Celeron 300A.  I downloaded the drivers from ATI for the
card, and checked Soyo site for any newer drivers(none).  The board is rated
at AGP 1x/2x.  I did have a Lightspeed PCI card that worked fine.  I
uninstalled it and booted up with ATI card with Windows default VGA driver.
Then installed the ATI drivers, which appeared in device manager as,
"Magnum/xpert128/x99/. . ."  Everything seemed to be working OK till I
changed the resolution an color depth(600x800 @ 16bit color), at which point
it froze.  I rebooted and the new color/resolutions held.   After a few
minutes, and going on the 'net if froze again.  I rebooted, and again it
seemed to be OK.  The ATI download came with 5 diagnostic tests, of which
the first four indicated no problem. but the last one froze with the monitor
blacked out and no monitor signal evident on the monitor(Viewsonic 17GS) -
can't remember the test now.  SisSoft Sandra didn't indicate any problems
with the card.  I had the case open so checked the HSinked chip on the video
card and it seemed awfully hot - I could only touch the HS for about 2 or 3
seconds.  I shut it down and the next morning gave it another go.  Now it
freezes when it gets to the desktop in Windows(98).  I checked the bios and
it is pretty much default, and auto on everything.   Do I have a bad card?
I have emailed support where I got the card (XWY), but have not gotten any
response.  Any help, advice appreciated.
Edna Sloan

      special "Free-After-Rebate" Software specials in conjunction
          with Beyond.com.   We have new offers all the time!!!
                      http://nospin.com/promotions