From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Oct 2003 08:51:49 -0700
On 2 Oct 2003 at 7:22, Westly Montroos wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Right now I'm using windows xp home edition on my laptop. I'm a
> student,
> and I "may" use the network of the school to use the internet. Pretty
> fast internet.
> But I don't need to log on the network to use the network or the
> internet.
> First things I notice;
> I can't see the other computers on the network.
> I can't see the server.

  A friend with XP Home has this problem.  I posted here for help, and got
no answer.

> My first question; which version of Windows (it could be Windows xp
> home or pro or Windows 2000 Pro) is the best one to use on an unknown
> network?

  As near as I can figure, older OSes may need an update to be seen by XP.
This doesn't seem to be an issue with 2K Pro, so that's my recommendation.

> I want to protect my laptop and especially my files, so I want to use
> the best one. I have many experience with Windows 2000 Pro Edition,
> because I used to be a system administrator. With Windows 2000 Pro I
> could configure that no one is able to log on or to see a drive or a
> folder on a network. But is this able with Windows Xp home or pro?

  Stuff that works with 2K Pro *should* work with XP Pro, but may not quite
work *the same*.  I think XP Home leaves out or hides some of the controls
you want.

David Gillett

                     support at our newest website:
                          http://freepctech.com