Date:
Sat, 19 Aug 2000 04:35:47 -0500
I wrote:
I can now access computer #2 from the Dell and things work fine. I can
copy and paste files from one computer to the other through the Dell.

However, I am having a problem with computer #2 working correctly. I can
see the Dell on computer #2 but I can't access the Dell from computer
#2. When I click the icon for the Dell it tells me the system is not
available. I have file and print sharing turned on and have shared all my
drives on the Dell as well as computer #2. The network card installed
correctly on irq 10 on computer #2 the first time.

Could there be a problem because one system runs win98 and the other
      win98E?
Could there be a problem because one system has an Intel cpu and the other
  an Amd cpu?

  Any suggestions?

>Mary wrote:
>We are going to need more information on how your network is setup, such as
>protocols installed and which adapters they are bound to, are there any
>duplicates of the protocols, what OS is each computer running, how the
>computers are connected, cross-over cable or through a hub, how file sharing
>is setup, whether it is user-level access or share-level, workgroup name,
>computer names, IP addresses, subnet mask, and default gateway if you set
>them up, do you sign on to get on the network, and anything else you might
>think is relevant.
>
>Mary Wolden

Computer #1
Dell
Intel 800
256 Ram
OS:   Win98SE
IRQ for Network card:    10
IDENTIFICATION:
Computer Name:   Dell
Workgroup:         Home

Computer #2
American Micro
AMD 166
96 Ram
OS:  Win98
IRQ for Network card:    10
IDENTIFICATION:
Computer Name:    Amd
Workgroup:      Home

Network is set up with Linksys Network Starter Kit...two network cards, two
cables and a hub.

Adapters and Protocols are Identical on both machines:  (Set up from the
info from Linksys Webpage for Win98)

Microsoft  Family Login
Client For Microsoft Networks
Client for NetWare Networks
Dial Up Adapter
Linksys LNEPCI II PCI Ethernet Adapter
IPX/SPX=compatible Protocol ->Linksys LNEPCI II PCI Ethernet Adapter
NetBEUI ->Linksys LNEPCI II PCI Ethernet Adapter
TCP/IP -> Dial-Up Adapter
File and printer sharing for Microsoft Networks

Primary Network Logon:  Windows Logon    (From the Linksys  Webpage for Win98)

         If I use any other logon I cannot see the network at all.
         Protocols are bound to only one adapter.
                 (TCP/IP is needed for my internet connection)
         There are no duplicate protocols.
         File sharing is set up as share-level.
         Drives are shared with full access...no passwords

         No IP Addresses
         No Subnet mask
         No Default Gateway
         (There is nothing in the instructions about IP, Subnet or Default
Gateway)

         I sign on to each computer with a different nick and different
password.

If you need more info, I'll be glad to supply it but I can't think of
anything else at this point.

Thanks,

Sue Na

      special "Free-After-Rebate" Software specials in conjunction
          with Beyond.com.   We have new offers all the time!!!
                      http://nospin.com/promotions