From:
David Nasser <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Feb 1998 17:48:01 CST
On Fri, 13 Feb 1998 10:50:10 -0500 Mathew Browning said:
>If you choose to do so, you can format up to an 8 gig NTFS partition and
>install NT to that partition during setup, no problem.
>
>Converting FAT16 Partitions to NTFS also seems to render the NTFS
>partition a little less stable than a partition originally formatted with
>NTFS.
>
>Good NT info site:
>http://www.savilltech.com/
>

>NOTE: NT does not come with a defragmentation utility out of the box ,
>you must (i repeat) must get a third party utility to defrag NTFS
>partitions and defrag them every day!
>NT w/NTFS will fragment files like nothing you've ever seen.

On my NT WS 4.0 SP3, I go to Disk Administrator, select a partition, select
"tools", click "properties", then the "tools" tab, and the defrag is at the
bottom of the screen. Can't say if its good or bad: only used it once.
Some NT facilities are sorta buried ...

  David

** David Nasser                     **     [log in to unmask]  **
** Univ. Mo. St. Louis (sometimes)  **                              **

          PCBUILD:  http://nospin.com  or  [log in to unmask]