From:
Max Timchenko <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 May 1999 10:06:34 +0200
Jun Qian wrote:

> Thanks for all your reply.
>
> I have been looked around for a while and still get confused about Linux. My next
> computer would be a home build system, and it will be a ultimate game machine.
> Therefore, hardware compatibility is Very Important. I'd like to try Linux for its
> reliability and low cost, but if it doesn't support the greatest "game" hardware
> and/or games, I'll wait before I give it a go until Linux supports games.
>
> Is there any chance that Linux will become a game OS (or someone release a special
> game version)?

  Is Windows 98 "a game OS" ?

  Windows 98 is used for games mainly because it provides a single
interface [the DirectX] to access all the devices you mention; namely,
DirectDraw for the graphics; DirectSound for the sound and
DirectInput for steering wheels, throttles, etc. Games don't concern
themselves which joystick you have, and this makes W98 the favourite
platform for development. Also, most gamers' computers have W98.
  It doesn't _support_ the devices; it only provides the interface. The
device drivers are made by manufacturers.

  For Linux to be appealing to the game/hardware
manufacturers, there will have to be 1) one common interface for
all the gaming devices and 2) the games themselves.

  The interface has not yet evolved; I'm not aware of anything rese-
mbling DirectX for Linux. But I'm sure this is on the way; neverthe-
less, I seriously doubt there will be a special "game" version of
Linux OS, as it still is mostly "professional" OS and not quite
directed to home/entertainment.

  The games are already in development. Quake 2 and 3 are said to be
prepared for Linux cloning, and others are bound to follow. I'm sure
that eventually Linux will also become a good gaming platform.

  While you wait, remember that you can install both W98 and Linux
on single machine -- and try the linux games as they appear, firsthand.

Max Timchenko - [log in to unmask]

                         PCBUILD's List Owner's:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
                        Drew Dunn<[log in to unmask]>