From:
Dan Shaughnessy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Mar 1999 11:47:43 -0600
There seems to be some conflicting information passed along here.  As an
owner of both a TNT video card and a 3Dfx Voodoo2, perhaps I can clarify:

The 3Dfx card is the card that is directly connected your monitor, a pass
through cable runs from the VGA out connector on your standard video card
into the 3Dfx card.  This can and does result in some signal degradation of
your "2D" image.  The 3Dfx card is best for the "high frame rate games" IF
they use Glide, a special 3Dfx  API.  (There are MANY Glide based games out
there.)  However, if you want to run a high res game (1280x1040), a Voodoo2
card will not work, it's max resolution is 800X600  (Unless you purchase 2
of them and run in "SLI", even then I think 1280X768 is max).  Unless the
games you want to play have a Glide version you, you will getter equal or
better performance, higher resolution, and the option to use 32 bit color
with a TNT based video card.

In order for either of these cards to add benefit to the game, the game
needs to offer an option for 3D acceleration.  If not, most recent vintage
video cards with sufficient memory will suffice, if they support DirectX.

Dan Shaughnessy

>>I am thinking of getting a new video card, but I do not understand this.
>>How do you have two video cards??  If you get a 2d card and a 3d card, how
do
>you
>>hook them up?   Can you hook your monitor to either one and they talk
>>through the pci bus?
>
>Your monitor is hooked up to you 2D card
>
>>Also, I play games on my computer a lot.  I like things like Civilization
>>and Might and
>>Magic as opposed to the shoot-em games like Quake or Doom.  Do I need 3d
>>cards with "high frame rates?"  What about high-res games like Railroad
>>Tycoon II
>>that use 1280 x 1040?

             to be posted to: [log in to unmask]