From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Sep 2005 01:50:16 -0700
On 1 Sep 2005 at 21:24, Walt Ezyk wrote:

> Hi, I just tried to instal a DSL connection and ran into trouble. After
> checking my system it refused to install for lack of a NIC card. Are these
> cards easy to install, and what do they cost. I checked my mother board
> manual and I have a few ATA, and PCI slots open. Is this where the card
> would be installed? Thanks.
>
> Walt

  Network adapters come in a couple of common flavours:  PCI card for
desktops, PC-Card for laptops, and USB (for any system) are the most common.
 Many modern motherboards include one built in, and just today I saw a PCI
card that included one along with a mix of USB 2.0 and FireWire ports.

  I needed to replace a 10/100 NIC about two weeks ago, and a replacement
card from D-Link cost me $22.50; this was out in a pretty rural area, and I
would expect to pay less in an urban area with competing discount stores.
The card should come with a driver disk; make sure that the OS you use is
listed as supported.

David Gillett

                 our special coffee mugs and mouse pads