From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Apr 1999 12:57:46 -0700
On 20 Apr 99, at 9:11, L. Ha wrote:

> 1. How can I get rid of the noise on the AC power outlet,
> which my computer is running from?

  If you check your house wiring, you'll probably find that there are several
"circuits" of 1-3 rooms, each with its own fuse.  One possibility would be to
try to run the PC and fan off separate circuits.  But read on....

> 2. Can a UPS and/or surge protector resolve this problem if I install a
> UPS and/or surge protector between the AC power outlet and my computer?

  SOME UPSes also work as a "line conditioner", taking in "dirty" wall current
and regenerating "clean" power to the PC. IF the problem is spikes and noise on
the circuit, this can help, as can moving to another circuit.

  However --- certain kinds of electric motor put out "radio" interference.
[Vaccuum cleaners used to often interfere with police radio systems; there
are now standards manufacturers must meet to avoid this.]  It may be that
some part of your PC or its cables is functioning as an antenna, carrying
radio noise from the fan motor to the sound card's amplifier.  Filtering or
re-routing the power cables is not going to have much effect in that case.

> 3. And finally, can this problem does any latent damage to my system? I
> have the system for approx. 1 month.

  *Probably* not, if it's radio interference.  Pretty annoying, though.

David G

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                    http://nospin.com/pc/pcbuild.html