From:
"Joel M. Blackman" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Jul 2001 18:04:54 -0700
No, when Goback reverts your drive it reverts it to an earlier time, so if
that was before you installed the other programs they will be gone as well.
However, depending on how much space you give Goback to store files, the
installations in between may no longer be erased if they were installed
earlier.  The way I use Goback is that I create a safe/restore point by
doing something else for a few minutes while the compy is inactive.  Then I
will do the install and make a note of the time.  I will use the program for
a day or two, or even less if it screws things up.  I will not install
anything else until I've made up mind or had my compy crash.  I did that
with Winfax Pro 10 several times because it would lock up my Win 98 OS on
the program's splash screen no matter what I did.  Finally I Gobacked it
into oblivion.  Not as convenient as some uninstall app, but it does a
better job.  After using an uninstaller, if you really looked in your
registry you would find traces of the uninstalled app, whereas with Goback
it has never even been there.  I have cleansweep, but haven't really had a
need to move any programs around, but that would be convenient if I ever
needed it.  Goback is still the most functional app I have, and has saved me
from time-consuming disasters dozens of times.  My kid deleted explorer.exe
inadvertently.  Windows would not run, obviously, so on the next run I used
Goback during the boot to rewrite my drive to a minute or two before the
deletion. It booted right up.  Try that with Cleansweep!

Subject: Re: [PCBUILD] Installs After Format

OK, Joel

If I have Program A installed, but I think Program B (or reinstalling
Prog A, or maybe just no program) would be better for my purposes, how
can I completely unintstall Prog A, so I can install Prog B, or? With a
Goback or WinME Restore program, I can completely "GoBack/Restore" to
some earlier point in time along my compy's time continuum. However, what
if I've installed a couple other programs in the meantime? Will Goback
keep my other programs installed with proper registry entries when I
"Goback" or "Restore" my system to an earlier point just to eliminate
Program A?!

I've used CleanSweep - and occasionally, McAfee's Uninstaller - for
several years with good results - more importantly, few if any bad
results. Both progs let you track both installed/uninstalled files as
well as registry entries. Further, each prog provides extra bennies
besides just erasing all the leftover junk from a program "uninstall" or
"Add/Remove programs." Eg, Cleansweep lets you move a program to a new
location and keep old registry settings so your prog will operate in the
new location. (Try *that* without special software.)
jack payton

> Original question:
> > After having done another format and reinstall, I have two
> questions:
>
> > Do others have an order of program installation, such as, first  OS,
then
> > antiviral program, then word processor, etc?
> >
> > Do others have a routine for mitigating problems, such as, running
> > Scandisk between each program installation?

                     support at our newest website:
                          http://freepctech.com