From:
Lance Cummings <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Mar 1998 16:52:16 +0900
Listonians,

I have a USR Sportster 28.8 internal that has a prom that
tells it to identify itself as a Gateway Telepath.  Generally
no problems with this for 2 1/2 years, but . . .

Recently, after going online in Windows95 and then
disconnecting, and then rebooting into Linux (same
box), the *first* dialup attempt in Linux results in an
"endless handshake" (and a failed connection).  I kill
pppd and redial, and no problems.  No subsequent
problems, either, until I go back to Windows and
repeat the cycle.

I suspect there is something on the Windows side
that is not resetting the modem correctly, but I really
don't know enough about this to troubleshoot it.
Moreover, the problem cannot be duplicated with
100 percent reliability.  :(  But it happens often enough
to notice the association, for sure.

Advice eagerly sought.

Tia,

Lance