Date:
Tue, 17 Sep 2002 19:51:37 +1200
Al, why don't you download Motherboard Monitor and install it into your PC?

It's a freebie and is pretty easy to install and configure.  You can set it
up so you've got a little number showing up in your systray to indicate the
current temperature.

I install it onto all the PC's I build (I always use AMD CPU's) and I add a
voice file and another app called Shutdown.exe.

Then, if the CPU's temperature gets above my preset limit (I usually set an
1800+ to 65c) the customer will hear Harrison Ford say, 'I got a bad feeling
about this!' and a few seconds later the PC will shut down.

Of course, a lot of later boards have their own thermal shutdown, which is a
great idea.

Re your 1Ghz Athlon, I think you'll find it's ok up to 90-100c, but I like
to err way on the conservative side.

Ian Porter
Computer Guys Inc.
Arrowtown