From:
Bill Cohane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Sep 1998 22:37:22 -0400
At 06:24 PM 9/11/98 , you wrote:
>We are running an Adaptec 1522A SCSI controller. Connected to it are:
>ID0 - 1G Hard Drive
>ID3 - Matshita CD-ROM
>ID5 - Matshita CD-ROM
>
>We're running under DOS 6.22...  I've loaded in EZ-SCSI Ver 4.02 and
>the system recognizes all the drives BUT, it give me 8 drives for each
>of the two CD-ROMs.

There are several ways I know of that will lead to this symptom. Bob
Wright mentioned improper termination. One time I forgot to terminate one
end of my 2940 SCSI bus and I got eight copies of each device. (I had
disconnected an external device and forgot to enable the SCSI card's
termination.) But if you have a termination problem, I would expect that
you would get eight disk drives showing up in DOS in addition to the 16
CDROM drives that you described. (Actually, eight of each partition on
your hard drive.)

A second way to get eight copies of a device is if you set the SCSI ID
for the device to be the same as the ID for the controller. Are you
absolutely sure that you have the SCSI IDs set uniquely for each device?
(Do check again. Maybe change the IDs from 3 and 5 to 2 and 4 just to
change things around. Is it possible that you set the wrong jumpers?)

A third way to get these multiple devices is if the controller thinks
your CDROM drives are CD changers using multiple LUNs. (Each CDROM
drive would have one SCSI ID but would be treated as multiple devices
with different Logical Unit Numbers. Maybe there is a SCSI BIOS setting
indicating that your CDROM drives be treated as multiple Logical Units...
or a jumper might be set incorrectly on the CDROM that is confusing the
controller.)

Anyway...three things to check.

Regards,
Bill

                                  -----
       **Need help with PCBUILD mailing list? Send an Email to:**