From:
"Changhsu P. Liu" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Apr 1999 13:23:45 -0400
I was moving my 40X Toshiba SCSI CD-ROM from my Mac to PC and my 12X
Toshiba SCSI CD-ROM from PC to Mac. Both were in working condition before
swapping. I was unable to make the 40X CD-ROM to work. Below is the pin
setup.

in 1 (id1): open
pin 2 (id2): open
pin 3 (id4): short
pin 4 (parity): short
pin 5 (terminator on/off): short
pin 6 (prv/alw): open
pin 7 (test): open
pin 8 (power supply): open

Based on this setup, the SCSI # is 4; (pin4) check parity; (pin5)
terminated since it's the last one on the internal SCSI chain, actually
it's the only internal SCSI device; (pin6) allow tray eject; (pin7) normal
operation mode; (pin8) power supplied from the drive.

I cannot understand why my PC freezes when SCSI is checking this drive
during booting. It stops at the right SCSI number, and the drive spins for
short time at a constant interval. It never proceeds furthur. If I press F2
for SCSI card setup, the CD-ROM drive is listed there at SCSI #4.

Do I miss anything? If it does not work, I have to buy a cheap IDE CD for
my PC.

BTW, Toshiba drive is awful for audio extraction. 40X CD can only do 400K
audio extraction. 12X can only do 160K. For reference, some cheap IDE
CD-ROM drives can do 1800K/sec extraction.

Thanks for any suggestions,

Changhsu Liu

             to be posted to: [log in to unmask]