From:
"J. H. Meinema" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Sep 2000 23:35:24 +0200
Hi, All

> Actually, it is recommended that the cover always be on. There are four
> factors reasons for keeping the cover on: 1) Demetri is correct, the case
> is designed to create airflow where it is needed, without the cover, the
> flow changes and may not cool properly. 2) Computers radiate, and are
> susceptible to "Radio Frequency Interference" or RFI.  3) Computers
> radiate, and are susceptible to "ElectroMagnetic Interference" or
> EMI.   Many states or provinces strictly govern how much "noise (RFI or
> EMI)" is allowed to escape from a computer, and leaving the cover off will
> definitely violate all such regulations.   4) The cover also keeps the
> computer cleaner, at least it should ;-)   I just cleaned two years of fuzz
> out of mine YUCK.

This is all recommendation of supplyers and so on...

This is my personal Opion...

Just leave the case off it's better.

1. First of all hot air goes up and not down, when the cover is on the hot air is
circulating around within the case so the temperature increases. Only a little
hot air is being blown out by the Power Suply fan of the computer unless you have
another fan blowing out, then you must also have a fan that's blowing cool air in
the case.

2. For dust reasons it's also beter to leave the case of than the dust cant
settle so much. Also if you keep the area around the Computer clean from dust
than there's no problem to a little problem with dust. Give the inside of the
computer every month or so a good clean out with a brush and a vacuumcleaner be
carefull to not suck up any little parts like jumpers caps and so on.

3. Without the case on the computer makes some more noice than normally but
that's fine.. This way you can hear also what the Harddisk are doing and what the
fans are doing and when you install some hardware you don't have to take the case
off first.

--
Anne Meinema

www.clockspeeding.cjb.net or http://clockspeeding.cjb.net

Site Description/Sections : Formula 1, Delta Force, Overclocking and More

                         PCBUILD's List Owner's:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
                       Drew Dunn<[log in to unmask]>