From:
"Frank R. Brown" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Oct 2000 07:50:51 -0400
This doesn't square with my experience.

I have a w2k installation with two disk drives.  (These are two
ide drives, both with a single ntfs partition.)  In the interest
of load-balancing disk activity, the first I did was create a
pagefile on the second disk, and remove the pagefile on the
first (system/boot) disk.

It works fine.  (For all I know, maybe w2k automatically creates
a mini-pagefile on the system/boot disk --- I haven't looked ---
but I don't thinks so.)

By the way, I have done this also on nt4 --- sole pagefile not
on the system/boot partition --- and it works.

One last suggestion:  set up your pagefile before your hard
disk gets fragmented, and set its minimum and maximum
sizes to be equal.  This way, you pagefile won't start out,
and won't become fragmented, which would lead to less
efficient paging.

Yui Shin <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I had a similar incident the first time I installed Win2k. I thought
> it would be safe to reassign the virtual memory to a specific partition
> the way we would with Win98, but...
> ...BUT the drive/partition containing the root directory requires a
> minimum value at all times, for booting. However you can allocate
> virtual mem to use other partitions in addition to the amount used in
> the main (C: for example might have 128MB min & D: might have 256MB
> min). So unlike Win98, Win2k has a mandatory min. If that min. drops
> low enough the system will not boot.

     Frank R.Brown
     Frank.R.Brown@MailAndNews

      special "Free-After-Rebate" Software specials in conjunction
          with Beyond.com.   We have new offers all the time!!!
                      http://nospin.com/promotions