Date:
Thu, 15 May 2003 01:08:32 +0100
Hi, I didn't mean sorry as in 'sorry', I just meant it purely out of
politeness. (I'm in England here, it's just a phrase I picked up.
I'm not sure if you or anyone else can recall, but I had a problem some time
back with no display, although I was using the recommended ram for  the
board, which was PC100 64mb SDRAM x 2
(I have onboard sound and video)
After just about giving up on the board, I mailed PCBUILD, and was given
this reply among many others:
Mike Scott wrote:
Dear Michele:

I have found that the 810e chipset has trouble reading some PC100 SDRAM
modules.  If this is the problem you will usually get a memory error.  But
if
you did have this error without the display you could have the condition you
describe.  To eliminate this possible issue I would test your system with a
single 128 MB PC100/16 low density ram module 16Mx64 non ECC, CAS 3 latency.

By this time, I had asked for a replacement board, as it was new, and seemed
faulty. I ordered precisely what Mike Scott had suggested, installed it, and
it worked.
It's now been suggested to me by someone local that the extra ram could be
being used by the onboard sound and video, although this man said it was a
particularly high amount to be being used.
I'm wondering if maybe I've got a setting wrong somewhere or something. I
installed xp pro, which has alerted me more than once now that the memory is
too low. Restarting the system solved it temporarily.
I will install another 128mb ram at least when I'm financially able to, but
for the mean time, the system is in my daughters' room, and not being used
for internet access at present, so it's not causing too much of a problem.
Michele Sayer