From:
George W Hurless <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Jul 2003 19:48:35 -0500
HP Pavilion PII 400MH CPU 440ZX MB. (Daughters computer).
Background; about a year ago I replaced the power supply when it failed.
The new power supply has an on/off switch on its case.
This last week the Pavilion power switch/LED wire running from the ATX
case to the MB started smoking and locked (melted) the plastic click
switch, melted the plastic insulation on the black & yellow wires and
broke loose from the click switch. It also melted the plug a little where
the two wires connect to the 6 wire plug that connects to the MB, the
other 4 wires power the 2 LEDs. They show no damage. Also the MB shows no
damage, I know that doesn't always mean much.

Two questions:
I thought I remembered the power supply having its own switch would run
the fan without being connected to the MB?? It wont which makes me wonder
if this PS is also bad?? I thought I remembered plugging it in to a wall
plug and turning it on to see if it worked when I got it.
Two, if the MB is not damaged and since it's an ATX case do I even need
the 'hard' switch?
Money is a factor so looow cost fixes or hints are appreciated.
TIA  George Hurless

Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!

                     support at our newest website:
                          http://freepctech.com