From:
Mark Rode <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Apr 2004 10:28:37 -0700
Any VU meter will check the voltage at the power leads, but you really need
to check this while the power supply is under load.
There is  a lot of software that will do this, often motherboard
manufacturers provide utilities that do precisely this.
Or third party software such as,

Try Motherboard Monitor http://mbm.livewiredev.com/   free
or the last release of AIDA32 http://www.aida32.hu/aida32.php free
or if you feel like spending money SciSoft Sandra 2004
http://www.sisoftware.net/

Power Supplies are far more important to the stability of a computer then
people realize. In order of quality, and price,

PC Power and Cooling = the undisputed best Power supply in the world, bar
none, with a price to match.... around 200 bucks. I use one on a dual Xeon
system.

Antec Power supply = very, very, good and not cheap

Enermax = Good, quality, well made, lots of extras, cost effective, I own,
and use two, of these. A 350watt, and a 450, both with dual adjustable
speed fans.

The 350Max Enermax, from 45 dollars on up, at  Newegg
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?submit=manufactory&manufactory=1400&catalog=58&DEPA=1&sortby=14&order=1
  depending on features,  is the PS that will meet your needs the best.

If you have a small case with poor ventilation, and you are not opposed to
additional fan noise, then the dual fan model might suit you as it sucks
air in and pushes it out. I have a dual fan 350 in a desktop case that has
poor rear ventilation  and it works out very well. The power supply doesn't
need this but if you have a desktop case and need to suck air through it
then this is a nice feature to have.

Don't be tempted to go for the cheapo 25 dollar power supply, because if
things go wrong, like crashes, hard drive failures, POST halts, spontaneous
reboots, you want to be able to tell your self that it is unlikely a
problem with your quality power supply. I do realize that most people will
run problem free, for years and years, with a cheap power supply. However,
the subscribers of PCBUILD are typically not the normal end user. Here
people tend to build PCs on the performance edge, with quality, demanding
components, that require a solid, reliable power supply, in order to run at
their best.

Rode
The NOSPIN Group
http://freepctech.com

At 07:38 AM 4/16/2004, you wrote:
>Is there a meter to check, if a power supply is working correctly.
>Who sales them and how much?
>
>I don't need a huge power supply. Just say 350 watt that is very
>dependable. What is the best brands? PowMax,Just 4 PC,
>Avus,Chieftec ETC?
>
>Thanks in advance!
>Richard F. Bolha

                     support at our newest website: