From:
Kyle Elmblade <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Dec 2001 22:18:34 -0800
Hey Jeff,

Big red flags, claxons, bells, whistles!  Other programs you install not
only put files in your system directory, but make entries into the registry.
And, some may even have sneaked folders and files into your c:\program files
directory without you knowing it, which could cause even more havoc.

Typically, if you want to reinstall your OS, you're looking at reinstalling
all your applications as well.  The only exception to this is if you are
attempting what's called a "refresh install", which is essentially
installing the same OS over the top of itself (i.e. running the Windows 98
setup on a machine that was currently running Windows 98).  This type of
install can sometimes repair .dll's or a corrupt registry, but I've never
had any smashing success with it.

I hate to rain on your parade, but I don't think you are going to get away
with the new OS install with out reinstalling your current applications.  If
another lister has an ace up there sleeve that might work, I would be
greatly interested in hearing it.

Good luck!

Kyle Elmblade
Distinct Computer Solutions
Sales - Upgrades - Training - Consulting
"A closed mouth gathers no foot"