From:
"Gary R. Tennesen" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Jul 2000 15:07:11 -0700
  I may be wrong, but if my memory serves me, NT needs the first partition.
In the past, when I was messing with NT, I had FAT16 on the first 500mb of
my drive and the remainder FAT32.

I had both Win98se and WinNT 4.0 w/ service paks on the first (boot)
partition a while ago and it worked.  Recently, attempts at installing on
2nd or 3rd partitions have resulted with the same results you are seeing.

my .02 dollar's worth.

gary r. tennesen