From:
bobwarasila <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Jun 2005 20:30:49 -0400

> Although hard drives ARE vulnerable to shock damage, it may be worth
> opening
> the case and reseating the processor, cards, memory modules, etc.
> Something
> may have just been jarred loose.
> Jerome

OK I took out all moveable connections.  This a PIII machine so I removed
the CPU card, RAM, card tray, IDE connectors at both ends and reassembled.
The machine had been off for 24 hours at this point and powered it up.  I
got the DELL screen which shows a moving bar under the GX110 label that I
think tracks the progress of the BIOS loading.  It got to the XP loading
screen and died before finishing.  For curiosity I tried booting off the
slave and gave me a OS message which was sensible since there's no OS on
that drive.  I powered down and restarted and got nothing.  I removed the
card tray and CPU card again.  Then restarted. It now got all the way
through a completion loading of XP.  I figured I would now shut down
properly and did.  When I restarted I got a blank screen and again
encountered the previous boot unsuccessful message.   I did the reseating of
everything again but no go.  It looks to me as if the hang is during the
BIOS loading, one time it gave me (CRT) and another (Emem) as the hang
location.  Aren't these things that get identified during the BIOS load or
is it the POST?  BTW while it's doing this the green light is on the HD LED,
but eventually it goes off.

Anyway since it said it couldn't find the OS on the slave I'm guessing that
drive is OK.

I'll try to run the drives as slaves on my box tomorrow and I'll e-mail DEL
support

Bob Warasila

                     support at our newest website:
                          http://freepctech.com