Date:
Fri, 21 Apr 2000 18:34:05 +1000
Dave Littlehale wrote:

> Recently I wanted to add a CD-RW to my system.  I installed it and it
> wouldn't work.  Called the company and they couldn't help me install
> it.  They finally said since bus mastering is not supported (going into
> the device manager), the CD writer would not work.  I called Promise and
> they didn't seem interested in helping me solve my problem nor did the
> store where I purchased the CD writer.  I returned the unit.
>
> I noticed during the start up process there is a start up screen for the
> Promise card and it says that bus mastering is enabled.  No one really
> seems to know.

As long as you loaded Promise card driver for windows, the bus master is
enabled for sure.

> Can I add a CD RW to my system as is?  Is bus mastering really enabled
> or is something else taking place?

The only problem could be your CPU, you may only write at 1x speed (with no
background application running).  Your large harddisk is running for years,
so the software environment should be ok (just make sure you connect CD-RW
on your promise card).

Jun Qian

                   messages? Visit our staff web site:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/staff.html