From:
Dennis Noble <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Jul 1999 20:45:06 EDT
A good little PCI modem that will work in your 486 system is the Phanta Link
PT-3511. This unit only requires a 486 CPU and I have installed it in 486 66
systems without problems. This modem can be had for under $30 or so. It is a
"winmodem" but it is not an HSP or Host Signal Process modem. I would stay
away from HSP type modems esp with only a 486 class system. I think that a
lot of people think that HSP and Winmodems are one in the same and they are
not. While all HSP modems are Winmodems, not all Winmodems are HSP modems.
There are some good PCI Winmodems available and because systems with ISA
slots will be hard to find in the near future, I would try to buy only PCI
peripherals. I have used and sold over 50 of these modems without a single
major problem.

You can find a dealer at their web site www.puretek.com

Dennis Noble

>   Mike;
>   I have yet to see a PCI modem that is not software operated.
>  This requires use of the CPU to perform operations that are done by the
> chipset
>  on a standard modem.
>   US Robotics/3 com offer a 5 year warranty and I have never had problems
>  installing or using
>  the ISA versions of these.
>  HTH
>  Hal Seabolt
>

>  Mike Curtis wrote:
>
>  > I am looking for a modem recommendation for a 486DX4 100.  It can be
> either
>  > ISA or PCI.
>  > Thanks,
>  > Mike Curtis