From:
Dan Shaughnessy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Mar 1998 21:06:34 -0600
The legacy IRQ enables the card to "emulate" a sound blaster card, so DOS
programs can access the card.  If you remove the device, DOS programs (games)
will no longer be able to access the sound card.  I'm not sure of the technical
reason that DOS programs can't access the PCI sound card, but they cannot
directly, the second device allows the card to emulate an ISA card that DOS
programs can recognize

Dan Shaughnessy