From:
Brendhan Horne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Jul 2001 23:10:36 -0400
> If I have Program A installed, but I think Program B (or reinstalling
> Prog A, or maybe just no program) would be better for my purposes, how
> can I completely unintstall Prog A, so I can install Prog B, or?
 Generally Yes, Here is the thing. Let us look at this two ways
1. I am dealing with the same progam brand make and model.
a) You can reinstall the program it will generally overwrite the program,
place it's install setups in the registry and install or overwrite the .dll
files and other items that make it run.  The pro to this is if it is a
program that has become corrupt over time this will help restablish it's
foundation with the OS. The cons if this is not the most up to date copy or
the copy already in exsistance on the hard drive is a newer model you can do
just the opposite. You doing an install will overwrite patches and fixes to
the program that may be needed.
b) You can completly remove the program and do a fresh install. This can be
fine but it is vastly more time consuming than overwriting. Also you
defintley will need to make sure you have the most update copy.
c) This is mentioned because I have seen it (Ok I did but only once and
there weren't any witness ). You remove the program and go to do the install
with the " most updated copy" only to find out you only have the upgrade to
the program not the whole program.
2. I am dealing with a different brand make and model program that does
almost the same thing as the exsisting program.
a) Generally this is ok some programs can even exsist toghether and be
friendly I use both AseeDsee and Paint Shop Pro no problem. Ieven have a
copy of Adobe photoshop be friendly. If you don't need the A program I alway
recommend removing unwanted programs.
a1) Some programs were meant to work together Webcrawler and Get Right. So
there are symbiotic relationships with some programs.
b) The two programs hate each other and won't exsist in the same bit space
as the other. I swear I have heard this "This Fat32 aint big enough for both
of us". Example programs Windows media7.1 and Quick Time5 ( you may have
read earlier coorespondence on this and the modifications nessacary). Win on
CD and Nero. You can even have removed Nero and if every little trace insn't
gone I have seen Win on CD refuse to cooperate.  There are a countless list
of programs that are hostile to each other to to find out go to a programs
home page and read the FAQ and threads. You will usually find answers there.

 With a
> Goback or WinME Restore program, I can completely "GoBack/Restore" to
> some earlier point in time along my compy's time continuum. However, what
> if I've installed a couple other programs in the meantime? Will Goback
> keep my other programs installed with proper registry entries when I
> "Goback" or "Restore" my system to an earlier point just to eliminate
> Program A?!
No goback is like a program removal.
Thanks
Brendhan Horne