From:
Dave Perry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Feb 1999 19:37:34 +1300
I have just built up a new computer which has gone really well except for
the modem installation.
The modem is a Speedcom 56k ISA slot model.
The modem is preconfigured for com2, irq3. In setting the modem up I
disabled the onboard serial port 2 which is what I have done for every
modem I've set up in the past.
If it helps the box has this sentence on it "PC-XT slot or Plug n
Play(option)". Does this mean the modem is Plug and Play or non plug and play?
The first time I booted up after installing I went to the control panel and
tried to find the modem under "Modem". On this attempt I received the
message that the modem wasnt connected, that basically the computer could
not communicate with the modem. After trying this several times and getting
the same message I put the modem into another ISA Slot. It didnt work there
either, so I tried the third ISA slot and lo and behold it found the modem.
I turn the computer off and go back to it an hour later and the modem
cannot be communicated with again.
Now heres where it gets real weird. I went into the BIOS and changed the
2nd onboard serial port to another i/o range but stayed with IRQ3. Suddenly
I find the modem and it stays through reboot after reboot. But, at the same
time Win98 installs a com4 as well as a com2. It installs the modem on com2
and nothing on com4!!!. I tried another setting in I/0 range in the bios
which didnt work so when I return to the setting that kept the modem in
place it wont install.
What on earth is going on here??
STARLIGHT WRITER PUBLICATIONS  http://www.starpublications.com