From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Jan 1999 11:08:19 -0800
On 12 Jan 99, at 22:51, johnfarrow wrote:

> David Gillett wrote:
> >
> > On 12 Jan 99, at 6:20, Harold E. Schumacher, Jr. wrote:
> >
> > >   What would it take to upgrade a Pentium 100 (socket 7) to a
> > > Pentium 200 or even higher using the current socket 7 motherboard? Is
> > > it as easy as taking out the old chip and installing the newer one?
> > > Any cautions that I should be aware of?
> >
> > 4.  Get a new motherboard.  Drastic, but at about $80-120, it's
> > competitive with any of these other approaches, and may offer
> > additional benefits such as SDRAM, AGP, and/or 100 MHz FSB.
>
> David G
>
> Wouldn't you also need a new case or at least a new power supply?
> (for the split voltage requirement)

  No.  The power supply provides 12v and 5v supply voltages.  Some RAM
uses 5v directly, others use 3.3v.  The step down to 3.52 (some old
Pentiums) and 3.3 is done by voltage regulation on the motherboard.
Motherboards that provide split voltage have a further configurable
voltage regulator.
  If you're buying a new motherboard, you might seriously consider ATX,
which requires a new case and power supply, but I think SOcket 2 (for
Xeon) and dual Socket 1 (for PII) -- both high-end server
configurations -- are the only things available in ATX and not in AT
form factor.

David G

                     http://nospin.com/pc/files.html