From:
Yui Shin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Nov 1999 15:50:13 -0800
It is safe to use auxiliary switches to power up if the
device powered is no more than 3 to 6 feet from the
switch. Higher the wattage, the closer they need to
be to the switch. This rule can be slightly extended if
the device has a transformer or if a larger cord is used.

The above is more imperative if you power up several
devices at the same time, or if you have multiple stations.
Many people do use a master switch. This generates an instantaneous power
lag for devices which require a
higher initial burst of energy to power up. (i.e. monitor,
motor driven devices, etc.)

It is best to power on your devices one at a time, a few
seconds apart. This will minimize the surge type wear
delivered to the MOV's in your surge protector, low
temp capacitors in your power supply, and on down the
line. Turn on motor driven devices first, high voltage
devices like the monitor next, and then the rest.

Otherwise, I don't believe you'll lose any equipment
if you power up all at once, just weaken your defenses
so that your more vulnerable to the everyday surges and
spikes.

By the way all of us should be using a UL *approved*,
NOT just Listed surge protector with this minimum:
          low clamping voltage like 330VAC (prefer 200)
          high response time (less than a nano second ( <1ns))
          240 joule dissipation (prefer 360 >)
          H-N,N-G,G-H protection

Anything less won't even protect you from the everyday
spikes caused by your refrigerator.
-sorry to ramble into a long letter.
-yui shin