From:
Rick Glazier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Dec 2001 08:53:22 -0500
Yes and no.  The burning will work fine up to "at least" 12X from
my own experience with a  P-233MMX.
There may be problems with CPU intensive parts of the burning
program.  Things like anything done "on the fly", such as burning
directly to AudioCDs directly FROM MP3 files. Plus, a program
has to support this feature.

The one feature to look for in a burner, especially when used in a
"horsepower challenged" computer, is Burn-Proof, Just-Link,
or some sort of hardware/software protection from the buffer
emptying and destroying the CD you are burning.
This is an area where the computer must be tweaked (a lot) to
get good results, especially without that feature.

The most important consideration is to get a GOOD burner.
Otherwise you will just spin your wheels and wonder why you
are having so much trouble. (Disks that do not play well, etc...)

Also, pick your burning software in advance and only get a burner
that is already supported and where some feedback from other
users is available about that software/hardware combination.

Good luck.             Rick Glazier