From:
Dean Kukral <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Aug 2014 10:05:34 -0500
On 8/17/2014 8:31 AM, Michael Eisenstadt wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> I recently started art documenting with a dSLR tethered to a PC.
> Now I am faced with passive memory space and backup issues.
> Apparently best practice is multiple SATA harddrives. I see that
> HD prices are at selloff price points. I presently have an 80G
> Western Digital hd in an old Asus  full tower case with a new
> 600W power supply. There are additional bays for more
> harddrives. OS is WinXP Pro. Is it a good idea to marry SSD
> harddrive(s)  with the WD harddrive? Any brand
> recommendations will be very helpful.
>
> Thanks in advance for your advice.
>
> Mike Eisenstadt

Mike, the advantage of an SSD is it's speed.  Usually you want the SSD
to be the one with the operating system on it, and the hard drives to be
the back-ups or the data storage units.

If I understand you, what you need is more storage, not more speed in
less expensive.  Check out the hard drives on NewEgg, Amazon, etc. and
you'll see that you can add a very large hard drive for a very
reasonable price.

As far as SSD's are concerned, the faster performing ones will cost
more, out of proportion to their increased speed.  So, /for non-gamers/,
a cheaper one will work fine.   However, the larger capacity SSD's will
usually have the later technologies included.  Most of the name brands
will be okay.

As I see it, you would do best with a couple of one terrabyte drives,
one for storage and one for backup of the stuff that you want to back up.

Dean Kukral

                          PCSOFT's List Owners:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
                        Mark Rode<[log in to unmask]>