From:
Kevin Bachelder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Sep 2002 12:25:44 -0400

>Hello everyone, I would like to ask a question regarding Windows 2000
>Advanced Server's security settings.  We have a server running on a Pentium
>3 with 192 MB RAM, our concern is we want to reformat its Drive C (it has
>several Hard disks but only the Drive C) to install a fresh copy of Windows
>2000.  However, we already have more than 20 Usernames created, and more
>than 5 User Groups created as well.  Is there any that we could unload it
>like to dump it to a text file and then make a backup.  And after setting
>up a fresh copy, we will just load it up, and all we will do is just set up
>the security settings for the folders.  We just want to eliminate the load
>of encoding the user names and user groups, is there any utilities
>available?  Hope you could provide some answers, thanks.

If you are already using a 3rd party backup program then there are several
ways to reload this information.  If not, it is possible to use the
built-in program, NTBackup, to accomplish this.  You may want to review the
following articles from the Microsoft Knowledgebase...

HOW TO: Back Up Windows 2000 System Files with the Backup Program in
Windows 2000
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q301254

HOW TO: Use the Backup Program to Back Up and Restore the System State in
Windows 2000
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q240363

Good luck,

Kevin

Kevin Bachelder

Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer - Windows NT 4.0 (MCSE)
Microsoft Certified Professional - Windows 2000 (MCP)
Citrix Certified Administrator (CCA)
CompTIA A+ Certified Computer Repair Technician (A+)

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml