Date:
Wed, 10 Sep 2003 12:27:02 -0700
Re: My previous post - change subject
to Re: Partition Woes, please.

To:   [log in to unmask]
Subject:   Re: Boot files on C

That's easy. Go here and download MBRWork:
www.terabyteunlimited.co

Put it in a Win98 bootup floppy  and boot up the
machine. CD to a:\mbrwork  & reset the MBR & the EMBR
to all zeros. Problem solved.

Reboot & fdisk  and then format the HDD.

HTH,
tomas.

Tomas Santos

Subject hould have read RE: Partition Woes

Sorry for the confusion on my part.

tomas.

Tomas Santos
-----------------------------------
Bob Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Partition Woes

At 11:57 PM 8/31/2003, Ian Carmichael wrote:
>Hello all.  I have an HP laptop here that although had
only Win98
>installed,  also had an unknown boot manager (based
upon info supplied
>by owner).  Partition type reads as UNKNOWN and using
some recovery
>tools I can see directories.  However, C: is
unbootable (even if
>sys'ed).  Using PQmagic, I split drive so I could back
up some data to
>D, thinking I'd be able to repair C.  Was unable to do
so.  Have since
>move backup data off system to CD via wireless link
(thank you
>knoppix).  I then wiped all partitions, formated drive
and thought I was
>set.  However, when trying to do a re-install of
win98, system locks up;
>display shows garbage characters.  Partition still
UNKNOWN.  Fdisk/mbr
>no help.  Any ideas?  TIA

Since you have Partition Magic, the first thing to do
is remove all partitions
so the drive is totally empty.  Now, using Partition
Magic, create a primary
partition, Fat32 that is 98% of the available drive.
Leave 2% blank, (this is
where the laptop dumps data when it loses power).
Then it is just a matter
of formatting it and loading Win98.

If you cannot accomplish this with Partition Magic,
(possibly your version is
too old or the partition is really trashed), determine
the brand of the hard
drive.
Go to the manufacturer's web site and find their
low-level format utility, (they
call it low-level but it is actually a mid-level as you
cannot low level format an
ATA drive without destroying it).  Run the utility and
then use either Partition
Magic or FDISK to build a 98% primary partition.  We
have diagnostic software
in our download area that will boot the laptop and
determine the brand, model
and product number of your hard drive.

     Bob Wright
The NoSpin Group, Inc.
http://nospin.com - http://freepctech.com
 Tony Mayer <[log in to unmask]>

In addition to the other reply you received on this:
I would recommend you try the FDISK /MBR command.  I
had a similar
problem on a desktop system that I tried to install Win
NT over an old
Linux installation.
Hope that helps.

Tony Mayer
Sysop
The Magic FunHouse BBS
http://bbs.magicom.net

Ian C> wrote:
> Hello all.  I have an HP laptop here that although
had only Win98
> installed,  also had an unknown boot manager (based
upon info supplied
> by owner).  Partition type reads as UNKNOWN and using
some recovery
> tools I can see directories.  However, C: is
unbootable (even if
> sys'ed).  Using PQmagic, I split drive so I could
back up some data to
> D, thinking I'd be able to repair C.  Was unable to
do so.  Have since
> move backup data off system to CD via wireless link
(thank you
> knoppix).  I then wiped all partitions, formated
drive and thought I was
> set.  However, when trying to do a re-install of
win98, system locks up;
> display shows garbage characters.  Partition still
UNKNOWN.  Fdisk/mbr
> no help.  Any ideas?  TIA
 "Ian C>" <[log in to unmask]>

Bob,  I 'd already removed & recreated partitions w/
p'magic (ver 8)
leaving 12MB blank , and was unable to successfully
re-install OS.  Also
tried HP's HD utility, which reported no errors.  Was
unable to get
ahold of HP's recovery disc, so it looks like
"low-level" format is in
order.

Tony Mayer, the /mbr switch was one of the first things
I tried, to no
avail.

Thanks for the responses guys.

Ian Carmichael

> At 11:57 PM 8/31/2003, Ian Carmichael wrote:
>
>> Hello all.  I have an HP laptop here that although
had only Win98
>> installed,  also had an unknown boot manager (based
upon info supplied
>> by owner).  Partition type reads as UNKNOWN .........
>

> Bob Wright wrote:
> Since you have Partition Magic, the first thing to do
is remove all
> partitions
> so the drive is totally empty.  Now, using Partition
Magic, create a
> primary
> partition, Fat32 that is 98% of the available
drive.......

> If you cannot accomplish this with Partition
Magic,......
> Go to the manufacturer's web site and find their
low-level format
> utility....

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml