From:
Peter Shkabara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Mar 2003 07:11:43 -0800
Mark is correct and has a good explanation and gave some options. The only
thing I want to add is that there are two ways to start a command window
under XP (or Win2k as well). One is start/run/command, and the other is
start/run/cmd. The 'command' version seems to be more compatible with some
DOS programs. I am not sure what the actual differences are between the two
except that 'command' includes some additional environment variables for DOS
compatibility. Perhaps others on the list may have researched the
differences more. As Mark said, there is no actual DOS in XP (or any other
version of NT).

I use VMWare regularly and can attest to its effectiveness. Cost is about
$120. You do need a good amount of RAM and a fairly high speed processor.
However, it did run satisfactorily on my 400MHz P2 with 640M RAM. On my new
2.4G P4 with 512M RAM it runs very well. There is another product that does
the same thing but I don't remember its name for sure (virtual PC?).

One last comment. If you are wanting the "DOS mode" in order to run a
particular program, you may want to investigate the compatibility setting
that is available for programs under XP. Use Windows Explorer to select a
program file, right click and chose properties, then select the
Compatibility tab. There you can set the "Run this program ..." mode. It
does not offer a DOS setting, but you can chose Win95 which may help.

Peter
The NoSpin Group

-----Mark wrote-----------
There is no DOS in NT4, Windows 2000, or XP. You can bring up a command line
window in XP, just like you can bring up a DOS window in Windows 98. Look in
control panel, administrative tools. When you launch the command line
window, it looks the DOS window in Windows 98, but it is in fact, a true 32
bit command line, and  much more powerful. The XP command window, has as
much in common with a DOS window, as my Toyota Truck does with a F16!  You
can do anything from the command window, if you know the right command.