From:
Joe Lore <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Sep 2003 16:56:50 -0400
Hi,

I will give you a possible answer for your first question, dealing with
"why are they so sensitive?".  I'll let others answer the rest of your
questions.

Remember, AMD has vowed to produce chips that are equal in performance
to and at least 25% less in cost, as compared to Intel chips.  That was
stated by AMD reps at AMD dealer meetings.  I heard it for myself.

Consequently, they have tweaked their CPU's and have left some things,
out to save those costs
so they can keep their promise of price.  You call it sensitive.  I call
them damn fragile.

InteL P4 CPU's have the nice metal covering over the silicon.  AMD's do
not.
Intel P4 CPU's silicon does not break when a fan is put on with uneven
pressure, AMD's DO.
Intel P4 CPU's will shutdown and come back on if it gets too hot.  Amd's
just burn out forever!

I would not try running either cpu with out a proper heatsink fan, but
if you were to time it, the P4 would last longer.

AMD had a 40 page document on their website on the proper procedure of
installing a Heatsink fan on their CPU's.  I never saw such a document
for Intel P4 fan's.

I see more AMD Athlon CPU's going bad after 1 year than I do Intel CPU's

Both chips have specific power requirments, though different, today's
power supplies usually can handle either chip.

Thanks and have a Great Day!

Joe Lore

=================================

Hello "PCBUILDER"'s,
I have a question concerning the installation of AMD Duron or Athlon
Socket A CPU's.  I've heard through the grapevine that these cpu's are
very sensitive and you could easily ruin one during the installation
process.  My question is why are they so sensitive?  Is there a specific
installation protocol that should be adhered to when working with these
items?  How much thermal grease do you use? Is there a specific area on
the the cpu that you shouldn't touch?  Are heatsinks & fans a
requirement? If you run without a HS or Fan will you toast the cpu?  I
have chaintech motherboard and amd duron 1.3ghz cpu that I will be
putting together shortly when I pick up a case & ps for them but before
I do anything I want to make sure I don't botch up the install.  Also
I'm told that AMD CPUs & motherboards have specific power requirements
and that you need to get power supplies that are compatible with amd
specs?  Wouldn't any new atx ps fit the bill or is there special
connectors involved with this that I'm not aware of.  How about ps
capacity, does anyone know if brand new 350w ps work well for this
application?  Also does anyone know where I can find some slot A (not
socket A, slot A) amd cpu's?  Are slot a & slot 1 processors the same,
could you plug a slot a cpu into a slot 1 motherboard?  Yes I know I ask
alot of questions but this pcbuild group tends to find all the answers
so I'll risk it. If you have any insight in these areas, please reply
back. TIA...rob,wpg

                         PCBUILD's List Owners:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
                       Drew Dunn<[log in to unmask]>