Date:
Sun, 31 Oct 2004 18:39:04 -0800
Mike Williams wrote:
>I am not sure if this venue is appropriate for my question on DSL versus
>cable, but I am looking for advice and/or recommendations.

It may be that you are in the right place. If not, I don't think your
message would be posted here.

>Currently I use Comcast cable at a total cost of about $46 per month for
<the connection and modem rental.  I like the cable speed (is there a way to
>check download speed?) and the connection has been very reliable.

Before I relocated to the Pacific Northwest I always had DSL provided by the
local telephone company which I liked a lot due to the fact I was always
close to the CO (Central Office) and got the best possible speed. Now that I
am living in an area where I can't get phone DSL I too must rely on Comcast.

I have noticed a difference in speed since I acquired Cable; it is much
faster than phone DSL. Quite a bit faster I must add. You may check your
current speed at this site to see approximately how fast your connection is.
Of course, there are behind he scenes tweaks you can perform with Dr. TCP
that may maximize your connection. http://www.broadbandreports.com which
used to be named DSL Reports. In any event you can check your speeds there.

>Because I have two computers connected thru a router and use two IP
>addresses, Comcast is going to start charging me about $7 per month more.
>I don't need 2 IP's, but don't know how to connect both computers using
>only one IP address. I have one Northgate desktop computer (Windows XP pro)
>and one HP laptop (Win XP home) computer connected.

<smile> As the old saying goes, "There is more than one way to skin a cat".
For those of you who don't know, this refers to Cat Fish not felines.

They want to charge you seven dollars on top of what they already charge.
Due to the fact I am new to Cable I don't have a problem with that. I own my
own modem and I have a wireless cable/DSL router with a card for my laptop
and a wireless pci adaptor for my desktop. My server is tied into the Router
via hardwire. If you do this, you can run your computers with one IP and
have access to the net from both. If you decided to go this way, I would
choose Linksys Wireless G as opposed to Wireless A/B. A hedge against future
connections. You may also use a wireless USB adaptor instead of the pci
card. This way you won't have to open the box if you're not familiar on how
to do so.

>DSL is now being offered in my area by SBC and I can get service for about
>$27 per month.  There will be some startup cost, but only about $100 I
>think because of promotional offers; also I will get 2 months free service.

The Telco's are loosing business to the cable companies. Cable companies are
loosing business to Satellite companies and the beat goes on. Every major
company is trying to stay afloat in the sea of business. The bottom line is
dictated by the investors who want the most bang for their bucks. In my
case, I needed high speed and Comcast was there when the Phone Company
wasn't. I made a choice based on what was available to me and companies like
Earthworm was not what I wanted.

>Is cable more reliable and enough faster to justify this cost disparity
>which will be on the order of $26 per month?

Cable is faster than DSL. When I had DLS my speeds were just over the 1meg
mark in the neighborhood of 1400+- The Telco said my downloads were 1500. My
speed with cable is up around 2346+- on the download side. What does Comcast
say about the speed they provide? 60 time faster than a 56k modem. Pin them
down as to a relative speed? No, they don't have that information... <smile>
I do know that with cable, during prime time television watching and any
major televised event, you will notice a slowdown in downloads and how web
pages open. I don't find this a problem in my case. It does depend upon how
many people are in the neighborhood and all watching television at the same
time though. Being in rural America, for now I don't have that problem.

>The SBC rep told me that a firewall and spam protection are provided, but
>these may be what many ISP's provide.

Cable and SBC provide the same accessories. I chose to use my own firewall
and spam protection programs. I am against installing propitiatory software
provided by the IP's. This is my opinion solely based upon my experience and
knowledge of the subject.

Mike, at this point the decision is yours as to which way to go. I do know
that you will receive pros and cons here on the list and all will provide
you with viewpoints that will help you. I would not base my decision solely
on the bottom line although that is a point to factor in. Choose what will
be best for you in the way of speed and cost.

Sincerely,

Frank Suszka
netTek Computers

                     visit our download web page at: