From:
Edna Sloan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Oct 2000 15:35:01 -0500
Thanks for your reponse.  I do have DX7(actually 7.0a).  I don't have the
original drivers for the card, it came as a bare board.  The card locks the
system even at low color depths/resolution.  I do think the chip on the
board runs too hot, although this is the first acclerator I have used from
ATI.  I have a Matrox G400 on a BX machine that runs fine.  So I am assuming
there is a problem with the video card, or it doesn't like an LX chipset.
The vendor said the chip does run hot, but not "real" hot - whatever that
means.  I sort of follow the old rule of thumb, that if you can't hold your
finger on the chip for at least 5 seconds it is too hot.  I suppose I will
return the card, and look for something else comparable, although I don't
really need a heavy gaming card, just good 2D and decent 3D.   I got the ATI
because of the low price.
Edna Sloan

Some of the ATI cards using the newest drivers have to have DirectX 7.0