From:
Marty Landman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Jun 2002 20:17:35 -0400
At 03:51 PM 6/25/02 -0700, you wrote:

>I recently acquired a used Pent III computer.  It came
>with an external modem (56K) from Robotics.  I was
>having trouble going from web site to web site.  The
>download seemed to freeze and be unresponsive.  I have
>two different internet service providers and the
>problem did not seem to be any different using either
>one.

I agree that formatting your hard drive and reinstalling the OS is the best
bet. If that seems too daunting though then you could try a piecemeal
approach by going to the OS provider's site and downloading all the updates
you can get, e.g. if it's Windows then install the latest versions of
dial-up networking (duns 1.4 I believe) and the sock 2 upgrade. Then remove
your browser and reinstall it; unless it's IE in which case you can't.
Instead then I would install the latest release. If that helps you might be
okay for a while.

FWIW I format and reinstall on a pretty regular basis on all my computers
because it keeps them running well.

hth,
Marty

--