From:
Ann Fennell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Oct 2006 17:47:28 -0400
My HP computer (which is hooked up through a UPS that is supposed to moderate current fluctuations) has been performing progressively poorly until it finally refused to boot at all.  GeekSquad said the mobo had 9 blown capacitors (I think that was what was blown) and that the board was probably defective to begin with.  So, I'm going to cannabalize that machine and build a new one (with help).  Problem is, I don't understand all the initials and numbers about the parts, what goes with what, and have no one to help me with this part - deciding what to order - and I'm in a rush.  I am going to pay someone to help me put this thing together, but I don't know what parts to get and I don't want to be "guided" to buy parts from the person who will putting it together for me. I've been looking at places like newegg.com, but I just don't understand all the lingo and all the compatibility considerations.

I have & want to use: NEC DVD Burner, generic CD reader, 3.5 floppy drive, Seagate Barracuda 120g IDE HD, USB printer, USB scanner, USB UPS, USB camera card reader, Serial LG 19" 1400:1 Monitor, Logitec cordless keyboard & laser mouse (USB and PC/2) and I will be getting an external firewire hard disk enclosure (any suggestions for that?). I don't do music or video/sound intensive games with the PC, so I will just keep the speakers I have - they are quite adequate for error notifications or video clips, etc.

I'm wondering if the power suppy and fan would be usable, or WORTH using, and the 512 memory that came in the HP or whether it would be too slow or less dependable (5 years old or so)?

I'd like a well-ventilated case with firewire ports and space for at least three (120gig) hard drives and at least 2 QUIET fans)and it would be nice if the drive containers came out of the case. I saw an Antec Performance I p180B ($94) that sounds pretty good, but it has no side air vents and it says it needs PSU with long cables (what is PSU, power supply unit?) It describes front ports, but doesn't mention rear ports, which I need for scanner, printer, UPS, Mouse card reader, etc).

I need a power supply (450 watts or more? - what determines how much power source you need?).  One called Raidmax RX630A has great ratings (it should for $98), but when the description gets down to "24-Pin, ATX-2.01v, 1x 20/24pin Main Power, 1x ATX12V 4pin/8pin, 8x peripheral, 4x SATA 1x PCI", then I have NO IDEA what it's talking about and whether I might be getting something incompatible with something else.

I would like to use my 512 memory (2x256 chips)and add 512 more, but I know it has to be "compatible" and maybe I don't want to do this if the memory in the HP is very slow or something (5 yrs old), then I'd rather just get a new, faster 1gb - IF,IF it would REALLY be NOTICABLY faster (I don't do gaming).  But what kind - I don't know what all the numbers mean.  I'm not dumb, but I'm just unfamiliar with the specs & terms - I'm lost.

AMD processors seem to be well thought of, but there are compatibility issues here too, I know - is this where SATA/IDA/ATA comes it?  (I prefer AMD, I think - I'm confused - athlon?? sempron?? what IS all this stuff)?

I need fans, at least two QUIET ones, SPACE for 3.5 floppy, DVD writer & CD (want to use the ones I have).  I want to use my hard drive (Seagagte IDE Barracuda 120g) so there's something about SATA that I don't want, I gather. And have room for 2 or 3 more HDs (I save a lot of stuff, including backups and images).  Can I have BOTH IDE and SATA??

If some of you could just list some decent, very good quality parts that are compatible with each other (but not necessarily the latest and greatest blazing fast - I don't do gaming and don't want to spend a million dollars, but I do want good quality that will be dependable, not just the cheapest available.

I guess the starting point would be the Seagate IDE drive that I already have.  If I could ADD another IDE and add a SATA drive or two, that would be really good, to have both available.  (AMD processor and maybe an MSI motherboard??? - but WHICH ones???)

Then compatible items: Power Supply (PINS????), Case, Memory (TYPEs??), Fans, and Video Card (if there is not one on the motherboard) that would run my LG monitor dependably.  The NIC is usually "on board" isn't it?  Do I need anything else?

Oh yes, I want this to last from now on, perhaps with replacement parts down the road; could I get by with an OEM XP (non-hardware-specific) OS, or would I have to have a non-OEM XP (full retail version)?  I'm now using my HP key with a non-specific OEM that someone gave me so I could partition my own disk instead of HP limiting me to one partition, but this HP key probably won't work if I have a non-HP motherboard, right?  But will I have ANY problems with a legal OEM that is not specifically tied to HP (or DELL, or whatnot)?  If I have to change my motherboard (God forbid) down the road, will such an OEM still activate?  I don't want VISTA and I don't want SP2, so I want to be sure that my OS is good to go from now on, even when I make hardware changes, because I probably won't be able to find SP1 much longer - its already hard to find.

Thank you all so much for wading through this.  I will wholeheartedly appreciate any help or suggestions you hardware gurus can give me.

Anna Summers

                 our special coffee mugs and mouse pads