Date:
Thu, 18 Mar 1999 13:20:17 -0800
Jim Meagher wrote:

>snip<
>
> Now don't mistake me for the champion/spokesman for the winmodem industry.
> I'm not!  As an engineer, I am appalled that one of my brethren would
> design a product that is neither self-reliant nor self-sufficient.
>
> Jim Meagher

Unfortunately, it is called "cost and profitability".  Our company had
designed a special radio transmitter system that needed voice and data
sent to a remote place.  Because the system had an embedded computer, it
was easy to design it to dial out an external SVD modem.  So after all
of the R&D to do that, our major supplier of SVD modems told us they
were no longer going to manufacture them. It seems thay cannot compete
with the built-in winmodems that are flooding the market.  So another
good product goes out the window <G> because of cost and profitability.
And as for why your brethren might design something somewhat amiss,
blame that on the bean-counters who want the most for giving the least.

It is unfortunate, isn't it.

--
Jean Bourvic :>))