From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Apr 2007 07:42:44 -0700
  I would be concerned that that data volume involved in backing up the
drive might swamp the network and render it unusable for anything else while
the backup is running.  It may be that you can have the last one out at
night launch the backup, or have it autostart at 10pm or mignight or
whatever....
  .... as long as it finishes before people want to start work the next day.
  USB 2.0 is rated at 480 Mbps, and I don't know how close to that you can
actually get.  Your ethernet through the LinkSys (Do NOT run the backup
through the hub!) is probably nominally 100 Mbps; with Ethernet, you'll be
doing very well to actually see more than 60% of that.
  So if you could get the USB solution to work, it's potentially up to 8
times faster than you can expect over the LAN.  (I'm kind of assuming that
if the LinkSys *and* the Buffalo did gigabit Ethernet, you'd have said.)

  [One of my favorite parables, when I was a programmer, ended with the
punchline "If it doesn't have to work, we can make it as fast as you like!"
But in your case, as usual, it turns out that it has to work.]

David Gillett