Date:
Sat, 2 Sep 2000 23:37:16 EDT
Micheal,
    The motherboard and/or processor you need depends on the use of the
computer.
    A PIII is a good buiness processor, but it is a little overkill for
everyday use. An Athlon, on the other hand, can sometimes be much faster than
a PIII.

The major question is how will you use it?

Matthew A. Stoddard

In a message dated 9/2/00 10:09:15 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> Hello,
>     My name is Michael Scott (e-mail [log in to unmask]). I am very new to
> building pc's, though I've been using them for quite a while. Recently, my
> cousin built me a computer. I payed pretty close attention to him and I
think
> it may be fun to give it a shot myself. Part I have now is a Compaq
Presario
> case with no power supply, so obviously I have a ways to go. I read the
> article How to Build a PC by Bob Wright, and it seems simple enough to put
> all the stuff together. However, I want to make sure that everything I buy
is
> compatible with everything else. I'm thinking about the following stats:
>
>  PIII 600MHz Processor
>  128MB SDRAM 100MHz
>  20 GB HDD
>  48X CD-Rom
>  Annihilator 2 Video Card
>  Creative Labs AWE64 Sound Card
>  1.44MB Floppy Drive
>  56K V.90 modem
>
>  The problem is, I'm not sure which motherboard would be best, whether or
not
> to go with AMD's Athlon instead of the Pentium III, and whether or not to
use
> this case (it's a beautiful case, and I'd hate to see it go to waste) or
buy
> a whole new one. Anyway, suffice to say, I need a little advice. Anyone
have
> any ideas where I should begin?
>
>  Thanks in advance for any replies,
>
>  Michael Scott

      special "Free-After-Rebate" Software specials in conjunction
          with Beyond.com.   We have new offers all the time!!!
                      http://nospin.com/promotions